Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Mound, 2013

I don't have any more late 2013 shots of the Mound.  Hard to believe, I know, considering all the time I spent working it last year!  Here's a final shot from late May, showing all the Allium "Purple Sensation" - my favourite!

May 31, 2013; Iris and Allium
Also May 31, looking from the south towards the road, which is just behind the trees near the left of the picture.
But really, the gardening highlight of 2013 was undoubtedly the flowering of my Umbrella Magnolia - Magnolia tripetala.  It was totally unexpected and quite sensational - there were five of these huge flowers on the little tree.  I'm hoping this tree plus the other Magnolia I started from seed (Magnolia acuminita - Cucumbertree Magnolia, with its yellow flowers) will survive this cold, icy winter.

Magnolia tripetala - the flowers are about 10" long; leaves grew up to two feet long.




No comments: